The Plunge

Over the weekend, I asked Heather Hukins to marry me.

This was auspicious timing. She was very ill, severely dehydrated, and probably delirious.

I met Heather about a year ago when her father asked me to pick her up from the airport. I have been captivated by her since that day and I can sincerely say that I feel more fortunate than I have the skill to communicate.

Heather and I went to Sequoia National Park for the day on Saturday. The weather was truly horrible, but she was about to leave on the second leg of her planned transcontinental road trip and she wanted to see the tall trees. We walked for hours, off and on, ducking back into the car for shelter.

One sojourn took us all the way up to Moro Rock. The entire park was inside a cloud, so the incredible view from the highest perch was reduced to whiteout. The hike up to the rock, however, was amazing. The trail was quiet and empty, probably due to the better judgment of the other visitors. We walked up a hill and into the most beautiful natural setting that I have ever experienced up close. A cloud drifted toward us through a stand of trees as Heather snapped pictures of the magical scene. I knew that this was the moment that I would ask her to marry me. If I had the ring, of course. I had left it in the car.

The weather took a turn for the worse. We choked down some questionable food in a Sequoia eatery and made ready for our last stop at General Sherman. The sky was opening as we walked up to the old man. Heather and I stood in front of the largest living thing on the planet and I knelt down in a puddle. We were both freezing and soaking wet. Heather looked as green as the surrounding foliage. I asked her to marry me and she said "yes."

We paused only to slide the ring on before tearing off toward the car like thieves. Several would-be Sherman gazers waved us down along the way to ask how far in the tree was.

About ten minutes walk, but it is worth it. Well worth it.

0 comments: